Despite what was once believed, MCS is a scalable and realistic option for XenDesktop VDI deployments. This document will show you how to deploy a XenDesktop 7.5 virtual machine using VMware and Citrix Machine Creation Services (MCS). This documentation also assumes that the published desktop will be a non-persistent desktop.
- First, create what you would consider to be your Gold Image in VMWare. This is the image that your XenDesktop users will use.
- Install the VDA Agent and the version of Citrix Receiver that your organization prefers into this image as well.
- Shutdown the Machine
- Use VMware to take a snapshot of the machine by right clicking on the Virtual Machine in the VMWare console. Then choose Snapshot and then click Take Snapshot
- Verify the snapshot is there by right-clicking on the Virtual Machine, Choosing Snapshot Manager and click Take Snapshot.
- Then Right-click on the Virtual Machine, Choose Snapshot Manager and verify that you see your snap
- Go to your Delivery Controller and open Citrix Studio
- Right-click on Machine Catalogs and then click Create Machine Catalog
- Click Next
- Choose Windows Desktop OS and click Next
- Choose Citrix Machine Creation Services (MCS) and click Next
- Choose “I want users to connect to a new (random) desktop each time they log on” and click Next
Note: We are choosing this because this machine will be a non-persistent desktop.
- Choose the snap made in VMWare and click Next
- Choose your NIC and Network, click Next
- Choose the appropriate resource settings for your virtual desktop. Depending on your requirements this will be one or two vCPU’s, minimum of 4GB of RAM, 40GB+ hard disk space and click Next.
Note: The settings noted above are a good starting point, but will vary depending on the Operating System you are running and the applications that will be installed or published to this machine.
- Fill in as shown below. This will create the machine accounts in the Active Directory OU of your choice. Once complete, click Next
- Fill in a Machine Catalog name and click Finish
- This will take some time, but the following prompt will appear while it is creating the catalog
- Once complete, there will be a machine catalog for these workstations
Watch for Part 2 which will cover how to create a delivery group to finish deploying an image to your user.